London 2012: Olympic struggle for US gymnast's 'mom'
When an athlete sets out to compete at the Olympics, often their parents are an intrinsic part of the journey. That was the case for gold medal winning gymnast Shawn Johnson in 2008.
The American recently announced her retirement after failing to recover from a knee injury in time to compete in London. So World Olympic Dreams went to West Des Moines in Iowa, to catch up with Shawn and her mother Teri where they told the BBC about how the Olympics changed their lives.
More from World Olympic Dreams
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video McNish's guide to perfect Suzuka lap
- Watch video Top 50 FA Cup goals: Bournemouth shock Man Utd
- Watch video Rodgers rues conceding 'soft' goal
- Watch video Wenger 'didn't realise' Welbeck was so fast
- Watch video Sofas & computer games - injury rehab
- Watch video Meet the only Thai player in La Liga