The International Olympic Committee (IOC) insists it has 'complete confidence' over safety at the 2012
London was hit by a
third night of violence
on Monday with shops looted and cars and buildings set alight.
An IOC spokesman said security is a top priority but that it was not its direct responsibility.
"That is something for the authorities in London in whom we have complete confidence," he said.
Minister for Sport Hugh Robertson told BBC Sport: "What has happened over the last couple of nights is unforgivable.
"It is straight forward low level criminality - people trying to steal goods from shops."
The British Olympic Association (BOA) director of communications Darryl Seibel said he was confident that the Games would pass off safely.
Sky Sports News
: "It makes an Olympic Games and a Paralympic Games all the more important.
There have been amendments to the beach volleyball test event
"We need a reason to come together. What better city to do it in than London.
"It is the only city to be honoured with the Olympic Games on three occasions."
Seibel added that he was unaware that any Olympic venues had been damaged in the riots.
"This is not a reflection of London, this is a reflection of the world we live in today."
A London 2012 spokeswoman said security measures were continually updated.
"A lot of detailed work has taken place regarding security plans for the Games and we will continue to review them together with the Met Police and the Home Office over the coming year," she said.
The rioting exploded as two senior members of the IOC co-ordination commission, Denis Oswald and Gilbert Felli arrived for a project overview.
And a further 200 representatives of National Olympic Committees will be in London, attending seminars, about Games-time arrangements.
HEADLINES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
The Chef de Missions oversee the build-up to the Games and manage team's performance and logistics.
There is also a series of Olympic tests events taking place around the capital from 9-14 August as part of the
London Prepares Series
Locog, the games organiser, says the events will go ahead as planned with 1,500 spectators expected for each of the 54 matches at the
Horse Guards Parade
for beach volleyball.
The event will finish at 1915 BST instead of 2200 BST because of security concerns. Organisers say they will use two courts instead of one so that spectators, staff and volunteers can leave before dark. One of the two practice courts at Horse Guards Parade in central London will be opened for matches.
There is also a badminton test event at Wembley Arena, a marathon swimming event at Hyde Park on Saturday, 13 August and a cycling road race through the streets of London on Sunday, 14 August.
England's football friendly with the Netherlands
at Wembley has been called off as have Carling Cup matches at