Adrian Sutil admits being affected by legal complaint
Spanish Grand Prix
- Venue: Circuit de Catalunya
- Date: 20-22 May
Coverage: Practice on red button, online and 5 live sports extra (Friday 0855-1030, 1255-1430, Saturday 0955-1100). Qualifying live on BBC One, HD & 5 live sports extra (Saturday 1210-1415). Sunday: Race live on BBC One, HD, online and 5 live from 1210.
Force India's Adrian Sutil admits he is having a "difficult time" following the news that he faces legal action for an incident in a nightclub.
A lawyer for Renault F1 executive Eric Lux says he intends to file a criminal complaint against Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm.
Sutil, in Barcelona for the Spanish Grand Prix, said: "When on the circuit I will do my job the best I can.
"That's what you always have to do whether there are problems or not."
The legal complaint arises from an incident following last month's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai involving Lux.
At a packed news conference on Thursday, at which he was joined by his lawyer Manfred Zimmermann, Sutil refused to comment further.
"[It is a] difficult time, but there are always difficult situations, but I have to live with it," the German, 28, said.
"I'm here in Barcelona looking forward to the race and hoping for a really good race weekend."
Asked how close he came to not racing this weekend, he said: "There were no problems."
In a statement earlier this week, Force India referred only to Sunday's Spanish race and made no comment about the rest of the season.
The statement said the team were "aware of statements made" by both Sutil and Lux and it would "continue to monitor the situation", but it "remains fully committed to its driver line-up at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix".
Sutil issued a statement last week in which he confirmed attending a party after the Chinese race where he "unintentionally injured another guest".
Force India driver Adrian Sutil
“I will concentrate on this race and the next race and it should be OK”
The statement added: "I have unreservedly apologised for this. As this is a private matter, which has nothing to do with Formula 1, I will make no further public comments on this subject."
A lawyer for Lux, the Luxembourg-based chief executive of Genii Capital which owns the Renault F1 team, said: "In the view of the recent events which occurred in Shanghai on 17 April, Mr Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against... Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm."
Lawyer Marc Henzelin said Lux "does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter".
Henzelin gave no details about the incident.
Sutil said he was optimistic about having a good weekend at the Spanish race, to which Force India have brought a major upgrade package for this car.
It features new front and rear wings, a new nose and a new diffuser, a crucial aerodynamic part at the back of the car.
Sutil said: "It's looking good with a few upgrades on the car. Hopefully it works straight away, we are going to test it on Friday and see how it goes."
"It is very exciting. It is amazing how big it could be. The whole team is excited and that's what counts.
"We started the season better than expected but we are desperate to score more points.
"I will concentrate on this race and the next race and it should be OK."