Roy Hodgson: Wayne Rooney's time as England captain has come
England manager Roy Hodgson says that Wayne Rooney's time has come after the striker was announced as the new captain of the national team.
The 28-year-old takes over from Liverpool's Steven Gerrard, who retired after England's World Cup elimination.
Hodgson says Rooney has a lot to live up to in following Gerrard as captain, but believes he is the right choice to lead England - starting with their friendly against Norway at Wembley on 3 September.
More from Football
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video Highlights: Finn shines for England
- Watch video All you need to know about Klopp
- Watch video Fifa needs to start again - Lineker
- Listen to audio NI qualification 'one of our better nights'
- Watch video Incredible what we've done - Hamilton
- Watch video Beckham: Last goal in Dads v Teachers