Thomas Hitzlsperger 'overwhelmed' by positive response
Former Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger tells Gary Lineker he is "overwhelmed" by the positive response he has received after revealing he is gay.
The 31-year-old, who won 52 caps for Germany and also played for West Ham and Everton, announced his sexuality in newspaper Die Zeit this week.
Hitzlsperger says gay footballers are "invisible" in the professional game, and believes it is difficult to assess whether there is an anti-gay atmosphere in football.
More from Football
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video Shelvey 'didn't refuse' England U21 call-up
- Watch video Five of the best overtakes in Italy
- Watch video Kyrgios antics are funny - Murray
- Watch video Spot-fixer Amir free to return for Pakistan
- Watch video Ride the Rio mountain bike course
- Watch video Pendleton second on horse racing debut