Gareth Bale: Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas criticises Real Madrid
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has criticised Real Madrid for going public with their interest in Gareth Bale.
Real coach Carlo Ancelotti revealed the Spaniards were in talks over signing the 24-year-old Spurs forward.
"The rumours that anything is imminent are not true," said Villas-Boas. "We allowed ourselves conversations with Real Madrid, confirmed by their coach - I think wrongly.
Gareth Bale in numbers
- Age: 24
- Premier League games: 146
- Goals: 42
- Yellow cards: 15
- Red cards: 1
- Wales caps: 41
"But the only thing we've communicated is that the player is not for sale."
He added: "Carlo is a person I appreciate a lot and we have great respect for each other but, bearing in mind this situation, they have decided to make it public.
"Normally, situations like this in England are scrutinised by the Football Association with lots of care and attention. We have seen lots of people speaking about a player that is not theirs and we are due some respect."
Villas-Boas was speaking following his side's 5-2 defeat by Monaco in a pre-season friendly on Saturday.
Wales international Bale did not travel with the rest of the Tottenham squad for the game in the French principality.
Former Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow, who has been around the Real Madrid camp in Los Angeles this week, said he expects Bale to join the Bernabeu club.
He told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme: "The mood was very much one of confidence and expectation that Bale would go."
However, despite Bale also indicating to Spurs that he wants to speak to Real about a move, Villas-Boas insists he is planning for the 2013-14 season with Bale, who scored 26 goals last season, in his plans.
"We are looking towards the future with Gareth," said Villas-Boas.
"In football anything is possible but what we've communicated so far is that we are not willing to concede to their [Real Madrid's] interest in the player."
Bale played the first half of Tottenham's pre-season friendly against Swindon on 16 July but not played since as the White Hart Lane club continue their build-up to the Premier League campaign.
"He picked up a pain in his foot from his individual training so he's recovered from the [earlier] injury he had to his gluteus," explained Villas-Boas.
"The medical department has examined him and given the red light to his involvement, so we can't have him training or playing at this moment."