Dimitar Berbatov: Fulham sign Man Utd striker
Striker Dimitar Berbatov has signed for Fulham from Manchester United on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
The Cottagers, who have also brought in winger Ashkan Dejagah from Wolfsburg, landed 31-year-old Berbatov despite interest from several clubs.
Italian sides Fiorentina and Juventus also wanted the Bulgarian but he opted to remain in the top flight.
Berbatov in England
- May 2006: Joins Tottenham from German side Bayer Leverkusen in a £10.9m deal
- May 2007: Scores 23 goals in debut season at White Hart Lane
- May 2008: Matches the tally during the following campaign as Spurs win League Cup
- July 2008: Spurs complain to Premier League over Manchester United's pursuit of the Bulgarian
- September 2008: United finally clinch his signature in a £30.75m deal on the final day of the summer transfer window
- May 2009: Scores nine top-flight goals as the Red Devils win the Premier League title
- May 2011: Wins Golden Boot after scoring 20 goals to help United win title
"As soon as I was aware of Fulham's interest, my decision to join was an easy one," said Berbatov.
"I'm impressed with the set-up here and the people have made me feel welcome. There is a close and personal feel around the club and I can't wait to get started."
Berbatov played under Fulham boss Martin Jol at Spurs.
Jol added: "Dimitar is a player I've always admired. He's a player of great quality and technical ability who will give me the attacking option I've been looking for. When he's not scoring goals, his ingenuity often leads chances being created for his team-mates."
Fiorentina thought they had tied up a deal for Berbatov. They claimed they had been given permission by United to speak to the player but that he failed to turn up in Florence for talks after they had paid for his flight.
"We are happy he did not come to Fiorentina," read a club statement. "He did not deserve our city and our shirt and the values it represents."
Meanwhile Dejagah, 26, has signed a three-year deal with Fulham with the option to extend it by a year.
The Iran international had a stint at Hertha Berlin before moving to Wolfsburg, where he made more than 150 appearances.
"I'm very happy to be signing for Fulham and to come and play in the Premier League," he told the Fulham website.
"After I had spoken to the manager and heard about the project here, I was convinced. So I am happy to be here and will give my best for the club and our fans."
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 95.JHunter_Fulham4Life
2nd September 2012 - 15:16
Comment number 94.XTempest
1st September 2012 - 16:18
Comment number 93.maze
1st September 2012 - 15:02
Comment number 92.Foreverred11
1st September 2012 - 14:31
Comment number 91.Foreverred11
1st September 2012 - 14:19