Nigel Adkins says Southampton trio can leave club

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins has admitted out-of-favour trio Lee Barnard, Ryan Dickson and Jonathan Forte are set to leave the club.

The three players have been used in Saints' development squad friendlies so far in pre-season and Adkins says their futures lie elsewhere.

"It's fair to say that (they can leave)," Adkins told BBC Radio Solent.

Continue reading the main story

There has been interest in them because they are of good quality

Nigel Adkins Southampton manager

"We want to try and do it early enough for them and I know their agents have been working actively."

Forward Barnard, 28, has been at the club since January 2010, joining on a free transfer from Southend. Defender Dickson, 25, spent much of last season on loan at Leyton Orient and has been with Southampton since June 2010.

Striker Forte, 26, spent much of last season on loan at Notts County after joining Saints in January 2011.

Adkins says the trio have attracted interest and hopes deals can be completed before the transfer window closes at the end of August.

"They are fit but they need to play football as well so everyone is working very hard to create a win, win situation," he said.

"There has been interest in them because they are of good quality and I would imagine as the month progresses something more concrete will materialise."

Adkins, whose side host Wolves on Saturday at St Mary's, also rubbished speculation linking midfielder Richard Chaplow with a move away from the club.