John Terry fights FA charge over Anton Ferdinand incident

Chelsea captain John Terry has denied a Football Association charge for his part in last season's incident with QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

Terry, 31, is alleged to have used "abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour" in the 23 October match.

Terry timeline

23 October: Terry releases a statement denying he made a racist slur against Ferdinand during Chelsea's defeat at QPR after videos circulate on the internet.

1 November: The Metropolitan Police confirms it has launched a formal investigation into allegations of racist abuse of Ferdinand by Terry.

28 November: Terry is interviewed under caution.

21 December: The Crown Prosecution Service announces Terry will be charged with racially abusing Ferdinand.

1 February: District judge Howard Riddle orders that Terry should stand trial in the week beginning 9 July - following Euro 2012 - after hearing a number of other Chelsea players would not be able to appear as witnesses until the end of the football season.

3 February: Terry is stripped of the England captaincy by members of the 14-strong FA board, without consulting manager Fabio Capello.

8 February: Capello resigns as England manager two days after criticising the decision to strip Terry of the captaincy.

13 July: Terry is cleared at Westminster Magistrates' Court of making a racist insult to Ferdinand.

27 July: Terry is charged by the FA.

The FA statement read: "It is alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Ferdinand."

England defender Terry has, as expected, requested a personal hearing.

Last month Terry was cleared at Westminster Magistrates' Court of racially abusing Ferdinand during the Premier League game between the west London sides.

It was alleged Terry had insulted Ferdinand, describing him as "black" and using extreme sexual swear words.

But in reaching a not guilty verdict, chief magistrate Howard Riddle stated it was "possible that what was said was not intended as an insult but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him".

The prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Terry had used the words in an insulting manner, which it could not.

But the FA only has to prove its case "on the balance of probabilities".

Fabio Capello resigned as England manager in February after Terry was stripped of the captaincy because of the allegations.

Capello's successor Roy Hodgson included Terry in the squad that played at Euro 2012.