London 2012 absentee Gareth Bale 'should not be banned'
British Olympic Association chairman Lord Moynihan has dismissed claims by Fifa boss Sepp Blatter that Tottenham's Gareth Bale should be banned.
Bale withdrew from the GB Olympic squad with a back injury but scored for Spurs on their tour of America.
Blatter has warned injured players could be suspended if they appear for their clubs during the Olympics.
However, Moynihan said: "I don't agree with the comments. I think Sepp Blatter needs to get closer to Team GB."
He added: "I understand the response from some football fans who were hoping to see Gareth Bale play as part of Team GB.
"My view is different. I welcome the fact that he has returned from injury earlier than expected."
Gary Lineker Match of the Day presenter on Twitter
“Gareth Bale pulled out of the Olympics through injury, played for Spurs last night. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity thrown away”
It is understood the FA will not lodge a formal complaint with Fifa about Bale's appearance for Tottenham and will instead ensure the British squad are focused on their opening Olympic match against Senegal at Old Trafford on Thursday.
But president Blatter insisted that if any complaint were made it would be dealt with, adding: "The principle is that if a club does not release a player, then this association can come to Fifa and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics.
"So far nobody came to Fifa to say we should, but it is a possibility we could ban these players if they are not at the disposal of the national team.
"Fifa's position has never been so clear than it is now for the Olympics 2012 and 2016."
Bale was not fit to play when the original Team GB squad was announced, but the 23-year-old has since made a rapid recovery.
The Welsh international played 74 minutes of the friendly match against a Galaxy side featuring former Spurs striker Robbie Keane and later told Spurs TV Online: "After about 65 minutes my calf started to cramp up a bit but it was a good workout. It was one that I needed and it was good to get a goal as well.
"My rehab's gone very well at the club - we are well ahead of schedule.
"I am glad to be back. It's important to get a pre-season under my belt for the season forthcoming, so I am just delighted to be back now without any problems."
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas, who saw David Lopes cancel out Bale's goal, said he was pleased to see the Welsh midfielder return to action, adding: "He came back to us during this week, so [we had to] control the amount of effort he could put in.
"Gareth is extremely young and physically a beast, so he was able to put on the effort and we extended [his time] because we want him to complete a certain amount of minutes before we start the season."
Villas-Boas did suffer a blow with playmaker Rafael van der Vaart and right-back Kyle Walker having to go off with injury in the side's first match of their US tour.
Spurs next play Premier League rivals Liverpool in Baltimore on Saturday.