Hungary 0-0 Republic of Ireland

Goalkeeper Shay Given proved his fitness as the Republic of Ireland withstood sustained Hungary pressure to extend their unbeaten run to 14 games.

Given pulled off three saves from Dinamo Moscow midfielder Balazs Dzsudzsak before being replaced by Keiren Westwood at half-time.

Ireland's display was low key but they will have been happy to come through without any fresh injury concerns.

Giovanni Trapattoni's team face Croatia in their Euro 2012 opener on Sunday.

Hungary had most of the chances in the game, with big striker Adam Szalai failing to convert from several inviting positions.

Near the end, substitute Stephen Hunt cleared off the line to preserve Ireland's unbeaten sequence which includes 11 clean sheets.


"The Republic of Ireland team under Giovanni Trapattoni has never been in danger of winning any style awards. The Italian has drummed a strategy into his players, saying they are so well tuned 'they could play with their eyes closed'.

"Any dissenters to this style of management need only look at Trapattoni's record. Ireland will kick-off their Euro 2012 campaign on the back a 14-match unbeaten run."

Nevertheless, it had been the Republic who had the first chance of the game, which kicked off around 20 minutes late because of a thunderstorm that passed over the Ferenc Puskas Stadium, when defender John O'Shea headed just over from Damien Duff's right-wing ball.

The host's Bolton Wanderers keeper Adam Bogdan then parried a shot by Robbie Keane.

But Given's three saves from Dzsudzsak, including a stunning one-handed stop after the Hungarian's shot had been deflected, reflected the balance of play and Ireland were increasingly having to defend deep and in numbers as Hungary started to dominate.

Szalai looked to have a great chance in front of goal but scuffed a tame shot straight at Given.

There was another worrying moment for the Irish just before half-time as Szalai stepped inside a challenge and seemed certain to score until Wolves defender Stephen Ward made a last-ditch block to dispossess him.

The defender remained on the ground in some pain but returned after treatment to finish the half.

Euro 2012 sweepstake kit - pick for tournament winner

PDF download Sweepstake kit[745kb]

Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader

In the second half, Szalai threatened again, diverting the ball goalwards from close-range, but replacement goalkeeper Westwood saved well.

Another Irish substitute, Jon Walters, had a strong shot saved by Bogdan and later headed wastefully wide from a good position after Stephen Hunt's cross from the right wing.

Hungary: Bogdan, Varga, Meszaros, Gyurcso, Korcsmar, Halmosi, Pinter, Koman, Dzsudzsak, Szakaly, Szalai.

Subs: Kiraly, Kadar, Nemeth, Debreceni, Vanczak, Koltai, Szabics.

Republic of Ireland: Given, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Dunne, Ward, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Doyle.

Subs: Westwood, Kelly, Walters, Gibson, Hunt, O'Dea, Long.

Referee: Kenn Hansen (Denmark)