Inexperience nearly cost us - Sir Alex Ferguson
Sir Alex Ferguson says he "accepts responsibility" for Manchester United's "nervy" 2-1 Europa League defeat by Ajax as he did not field enough experienced players for the tie, which they won 3-2 on aggregrate.
Tom Cleverley, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young and Phil Jones all started and Ferguson admits it was a "big ask" to expect them to cope against four-times European champions Ajax.
However, Ferguson is pleased the youngsters now have the experience needed "to help United in the weeks ahead," including Sunday's trip to Norwich and Tottenham the following weekend.
More from Football
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video Meet the only Thai player in La Liga
- Watch video Top 50 FA Cup goals: Saints stun Man Utd
- Watch video Chelsea in control of destiny - Mourinho
- Watch video 'We will fight until the end to qualify'
- Watch video Gibbs gives Wenger anniversary message
- Watch video Super Suzuka - Japanese GP preview