Manchester City have decided not to appeal against the Football Association's decision to charge Mario Balotelli with violent conduct.
As a result, Balotelli will miss Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool.
The 21-year-old will also miss the club's Premier League clashes against Everton, Fulham and Aston Villa.
Balotelli appeared to stamp on Scott Parker in
City's 3-2 win over Premier League title rivals Tottenham
GAMES BALOTELLI WILL MISS
(A), Carling Cup, 25 Jan
(A), Premier League, 31 Jan
(H), Premier League, 4 Feb
(A), Premier League, 12 Feb
The normal punishment for violent conduct is a three-match suspension but
in November so would incur an additional one-game ban.
Italy international Balotelli was sent off in the league match at Liverpool
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini said: "I don't agree with this decision [to ban Balotelli]. We accept it, but we cannot do anything. I explained it to Mario and he understood everything."
City first-team coach David Platt had hinted on Tuesday the club would reluctantly accept the decision: "We are likely to be without a player for four games."
Earlier this month
the FA rejected City's appeal
against captain Vincent Kompany's controversial sending-off in their FA Cup third-round
defeat by Manchester United
Appeals are futile - Platt
Kompany was handed a four-match ban for his second red card of the current campaign.
Platt said: "I don't think there is anybody who thought we would win the appeal with Vincent Kompany.
"But I don't think anybody thought he deserved a four-match ban.
"Sometimes it shows you the futility of appealing."
Platt also disputed referee Howard Webb's claim that he did not see the incident between Balotelli and Parker.
City defender Joleon Lescott will not be punished after a clash with Younes Kaboul during Sunday's game.
PHIL McNULTY'S BLOG
“Balotelli might win Man City the title but there's a danger his unpredictability could potentially lose it for them ”
Lescott caught Kaboul in the face with his forearm in a separate incident at Etihad Stadium.
Balotelli came on as a 65th-minute substitute against Spurs and was booked for a foul on Benoit Assou-Ekotto within 14 minutes.
But, after escaping punishment from Webb following his clash with Parker, the striker was fouled by Ledley King in the final minute of added time and converted the resulting penalty.
from Inter Milan in the summer of 2010 but has been involved in a number of controversies on and off the pitch.
Balotelli joined City in a £24m deal
He has been sent off three times, was unable to continue after suffering an allergy to the grass in Kiev, threw a dart at a reserve team player and escaped injury after a firework was let off in his house.