Teenager Haris Vuckic pleased to impress Newcastle boss
Haris Vuckic believes he made a good impression on Newcastle boss Alan Pardew in his first Premier League start against West Bromwich Albion.
The Slovenia under-21 midfielder was named in the team for Wednesday's 3-2 defeat because France international Yohan Cabaye was suspended.
"I got the chance, I did my maximum," Vuckic told BBC Newcastle.
"I proved to the fans, gaffer, family that I can do it as it was a big sacrifice to come here from Slovenia."
He continued: "It was a dream come true to make my debut and I'm really happy.
HARIS VUCKIC TIMELINE
- August 1992: Vuckic is born in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- May 2008: Vuckic makes his debut for NK Domzale against NK CM Celje in the Slovenian league
- January 2009: Joins Newcastle United having made five appearances for Domzale
- February 2009: Scores on Magpies reserve team debut against Blackburn
- May 2009: Named player of the tournament at Foca Cup - Newcastle win beating Levski Sofia
- August 2009: Makes senior Newcastle debut in Carling Cup at Huddersfield Town
- September 2009: Makes first start in Carling Cup defeat by Peterborough United
- October 2010: Called up to senior Slovenia squad, does not play
- December 2011: First Premier League against West Bromwich Albion
"The family are texting me to say they are proud of me, it is always good to know you have that support."
Vuckic struck the crossbar with a powerful left-footed strike and was brilliantly denied by Baggies goalkeeper Ben Foster from a later effort.
"Haris had some nice moments tonight," Pardew said. "He showed the Geordie fans he's going to be a good player."
Having joined Newcastle from NK Domzale in January 2009, the Ljubljana-born player had previously made four Carling Cup starts and two substitute appearances in the Premier League, prior to his first starting opportunity.
"Every minute I grew in confidence," Vuckic said.
"I was a little bit nervous, but that went when we scored to make it 1-1.
"By the end of the game I wanted to play, I wasn't scared and very happy."
You can hear the full interview with Haris Vuckic on BBC Newcastle Total Sport on Thursday, 22 December, and in the Boxing Day build-up to Newcastle's trip to Bolton on BBC Newcastle 95.4FM.