Bobsam Elejiko died while playing for his club in Belgium
Nigeria defender Bobsam Elejiko collapsed and died while playing for Belgian side Merksem SC on Sunday.
The 30-year-old was playing in the fifth-tier game against FC Kaart when he collapsed.
Attempts to resuscitate the defender were unsuccessful and the cause of death was not immediately clear.
CAREER OF BOBSAM ELEJIKO
- Wacker Nordhausen, Germany (2000-01)
- Turnhout, Belgium (2001-03)
- Westerlo, Belgium (2003-07)
- Royal Antwerp, Belgium (2007-08)
- SC Beira-Mar, Portugal (2008)
- Deinze, Belgium (2009)
- Red Star Waasland, Belgium (2009-10)
- Merksem, Belgium (2011)
"With deep sadness we announce the sudden death of Bobsam Elejiko," Merksem said in a statement. The match was abandoned after Elejiko's death.
"He collapsed and died suddenly on the pitch and our thoughts are with his family and friends."
Elejiko had previously played for Westerlo and Antwerp among other teams.