Liverpool sign Stewart Downing from Aston Villa
Liverpool have signed England winger Stewart Downing from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee.
The 26-year-old, who joined Villa from Middlesbrough for an initial fee of £10m in 2009, handed in a transfer request earlier this week.
Downing, capped 27 times by England, has agreed a long-term deal at Anfield.
Liverpool have also signed Jordan Henderson from Sunderland, Blackpool's Charlie Adam and Brazilian goalkeeper Alexander Doni during the close season.
STEWART DOWNING FACTFILE
- 1984: July - Born in Middlesbrough
- 2002: April - Makes senior Boro debut v Ipswich
- 2003: Oct-Dec Plays for Sunderland on loan
- 2004: Feb - England Under-21 debut
- 2005: Feb - Full England debut v Holland
- 2008: Feb: Signs new five-year deal at Boro
- 2009: Jan - Written transfer request rejected. May - Boro relegated. Signs four-year deal with Villa
- 2011: July - Joins Liverpool
Last week, Villa turned down the Reds' opening £15m bid and it was reported the clubs eventually settled on a fee of £20m.
"It's a great feeling and I'm very happy to be here," Downing told Liverpool's website.
"It's been a long time coming and I've had to wait a few weeks, but I'm really pleased to be here.
"With the tradition, the manager and the players they have here, there was a big temptation to come and once I knew of their interest, there was only one place I wanted to go."
Downing began his career at Middlesbrough where he spent eight years before moving to Villa in 2009 for an initial fee of £10m rising to £12m depending on appearances.
He won the first of his 27 England caps in a friendly against the Netherlands in 2005, when he came on as a second-half substitute. He has yet to score for the national side.