Mark Cavendish out of Tour de France 2014: Briton 'gutted'
Mark Cavendish says he is "gutted" that he is out of the Tour de France after dislocating his shoulder and suffering ligament damage in a crash near the end of stage one in Yorkshire.
The Briton, 29, collided with Simon Gerrans during the sprint in Harrogate, which was won by Marcel Kittel.
Cavendish said: "I had some optimism that the swelling would go down overnight, but it's worse this morning."
Defending champion Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates are the three remaining Britons after Cavendish's withdrawal.
More from Cycling
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video Shelvey 'didn't refuse' England U21 call-up
- Watch video Five of the best overtakes in Italy
- Watch video Kyrgios antics are funny - Murray
- Watch video Spot-fixer Amir free to return for Pakistan
- Watch video Ride the Rio mountain bike course
- Watch video Pendleton second on horse racing debut