Fabian Cowdrey: Kent contribution pleases young batsman
Kent batsman Fabian Cowdrey is glad he made a mark after appearing in the T20 Blast for the first time this year.
The 21-year-old hit 55 runs, his highest Twenty20 score, as Kent lost to Surrey by eight wickets on Wednesday.
"We have got some extremely talented players in our side and I haven't been able to make a breakthrough to the XI this year," he told BBC Radio Kent.
"It was really nice to contribute but it is such a shame it wasn't towards a winning outcome."
Cowdrey was a late addition to the Kent side after captain Rob Key dropped out in the warm-up.
Kent all-rounder Darren Stevens
“Fabian has not been in much form for the second team early season but he showed he is a class act. Hopefully he can keep going for the rest of the tournament for us”
The academy graduate hit six fours in his innings before he was run out by Surrey wicketkeeper Gary Wilson.
"I didn't expect to play when we turned up," he said. "It feels really good to have taken the opportunity. I love The Oval as it is a great place to play cricket, with a great atmosphere.
"It was a shame to get out in the way I did. I couldn't believe it. I lost the ball completely."
Cowdrey also impressed with the ball, picking up the wicket of Tillakaratne Dilshan on his way to figures of 1-20.
Darren Stevens, Kent's stand-in skipper on the night, hopes the youngster is able to build on his performance.
"Fabian showed glimpses last year when he played nicely in a few games," Stevens told BBC Radio Kent.
"He's not been in much form for the second team early season but he showed he is a class act.
"Keysy pulled out at the start of the game, it was a massive ask for him and he batted brilliantly. He was smart early on and when I came in in the middle we talked about taking good options and he did that.
"It was a shame he got out when he did and his bowling was brilliant too. Hopefully he can keep going for the rest of the tournament for us."