Enzo Maccarinelli enjoying last fighting chance
Enzo Maccarinelli has admitted he has one last chance to save his boxing career under top promoter Frank Warren.
The former cruiserweight world champion crushed the previously unbeaten Gyorgy Marosi on his light-heavyweight debut in 91 seconds in London on Friday.
"As long as I'm impressing Frank will put me on," said the Welsh boxer, who had contemplated retirement .
"He was one encouraging me to retire. If I had failed to impress, I don't think I would have had another chance."
Maccarinelli is aiming to rebuild his career following four defeats in his last eight fights and a 14-month absence from the ring.
He demolished Hungarian Marosi at Bethnal Green's York Hall inside the first round and the 31-year-old is targeting a world title shot after proving his worth to Warren.
"I should have always been at this weight because I made the weight cut easy," said Maccarinelli.
"I want a world title shot whichever way I get a chance. That performance just scratched the surface of what I can do at light-heavy."
The Swansea fighter is one of just 11 Welshmen to win a world title and made four defences of his WBO cruiserweight belt before losing in an all-British unification showdown with David Haye in March 2008.
Maccarinelli has lost three of his eight bouts on his comeback trail - but beat Alexander Kotlobay to claim the European cruiserweight crown in April 2010.
Now he has slimmed down to light-heavyweight, the 6ft 4ins powerhouse ultimately wants another domestic clash with unbeaten WBO light-heavyweight champion and fellow Welshman Nathan Cleverly .
However, he said: "That would be a massive fight but it's not the next one.
"Now I want to get back in the ring and fight as quick as possible."