If you've already tried our
quiz looking back at the year 2011,
see if you can do better with this selection of questions looking ahead to the sporting year 2012.
Quiz - looking ahead into 2012
We're now into 2012 - and it's time to test your sporting knowledge about the year to come. Some, all or none of the questions will have a suitably Olympic flavour.
1.) Football... coming home?
Which football stadium will stage the very first event of the 2012 Olympics?
- Wembley Stadium, London
- Hampden Park, Glasgow
- Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
- City of Coventry Stadium
2.) First on the podium
And in which event is the first gold medal of the Games set to be won?
3.) Johnny on the spot
Lord's Cricket Ground will host the Olympic archery tournament - but in which sport did future England cricket captain Johnny Douglas win Olympic gold in 1908?
- Greco-Roman wrestling
4.) Back in the big time
Which rugby league club will return to Super League in 2012 after a six-season absence?
- Halifax Blue Sox
- Leigh Centurions
- Sheffield Eagles
- Widnes Vikings
5.) Carrying the torch - but from where?
Where will the Olympic torch relay begin on 19 May?
- Land's End
- John O'Groats
- The entrance to the Channel Tunnel near Folkestone
6.) Raikkonen's return
With which team will 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen return to Formula 1 in 2012?
7.) Europe's final countdown
Where will rugby union's Heineken Cup final be staged in May?
- Aviva Stadium, Dublin
- Murrayfield, Edinburgh
- Stade de France, Paris
- Twickenham Stadium, London
8.) Together in Paralympic dreams
The Paralympics is being held in London for the first time in 2012 - but in which year did Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire co-host the event?
- 1972 (with Heidelberg)
- 1976 (with Toronto)
- 1984 (with New York)
- 1992 (with Barcelona)
9.) An Open question
Where will the 141st Open Championship take place from 19-22 July?
- Royal Lytham & St Annes
- Royal Troon
- St Andrews (Old Course)
10.) And finally...
According to locals, what is lurking in the depths of the River Lea under the shadow of the Olympic Stadium?
- A barrel of toxic waste from the 1970s
- A mysterious beast preying on local geese
- A time capsule containing 1948 Olympics medals
- An unexploded WW2 bomb
- The Millennium Stadium hosts a women's football group match on 25 July, with games at Hampden and Coventry later on the same day.
- The current schedule suggests that the women's 10m air rifle final will produce the first gold medallist on Saturday, 28 July, although cycling, fencing and judo medals will also be won on that day.
- J.W.H.T. Douglas, who led England in 18 Tests between 1911 and 1924, was nicknamed "Johnny Won't Hit Today" in Australia because of his initials and his obdurate batting style - but won a middleweight boxing gold.
- Widnes return after being awarded a three-year licence for 2012-14 by the RFL.
- The torch will travel across Cornwall from Land's End on the opening day, finishing over the Devon border in Plymouth.
- Having previously raced for Sauber, McLaren and Ferrari, Raikkonen has joined the Lotus team which previously competed as Renault.
- Twickenham hosts the final for the first time since 2007. The Stade de France (2010) and Murrayfield (2009) are previous hosts.
- 1984 was the last time the Paralympics were not (wholly) staged in the same venue as the Olympics.
- Lytham hosts the Open for the first time since 2001 - while Muirfield (2013) and St Andrews (2015) will both stage the event in the next few years.
- Boatmen have spotted geese being pulled beneath the surface of the river - while a crocodile was rumoured to be responsible for similar disappearances in 2005. Be careful out there!
0 - 3 : False start
4 - 7 : Medal hopeful
8 - 10 : Olympic champion