Salford to host BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2011
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2011
Venue: Media City UK, Salford Quays
Date: Thursday, 22 December
Time: 2000 GMT
Coverage: BBC One, BBC Radio 5 Live & BBC Sport website
Sir Bobby Charlton backs Salford to host 'magic' Sports Personality event
The 2011 BBC Sports Personality of the Year show will be broadcast live from BBC Sport's new home at MediaCityUK in Salford on Thursday, 22 December.
Celebrating another fantastic year of sport, it will be presented by Sue Barker, Gary Lineker and Jake Humphrey.
This year's programme will be screened live on BBC One and BBC One HD from 2000-2200 GMT and will also be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.
Last year 12.6m people tuned in to watch jockey AP McCoy lift the trophy.
McCoy claimed the prize ahead of darts legend Phil Taylor and heptathlete Jessica Ennis.
“The area is simply mad about sport, but as well as that, in these challenging economic times, it works better for us to present the show from our new home than opting for the more costly arena options.”
The 2011 show will again culminate in a public vote to crown a winner from a top-10 shortlist, compiled by a
panel of sporting experts.
This year, BBC Sports Personality of the Year will also stand as the culmination of "Celebrate Sport" - two weeks of sporting events taking place at MediaCityUK throughout December. The mix of live shows, exhibitions, tours and interactive experiences will give thousands of adults and children the chance to immerse themselves in sport, including:
• BBC Radio 5 live's iconic football phone-in, 606, and the 5 live Sports Personality backstage show both broadcast in front of live studio audiences for the first time, plus The Monday Night Club and Fighting Talk live
• A Christmas Concert with the BBC Philharmonic and the Manchester United Foundation Youth Choir, recording a sport themed concert in front of an audience for broadcast on BBC Radio Manchester
• The National Football Museum will be in residence for two weeks, showcasing objects from their collection and some fun football-related activities
• Sue Barker with Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell in a special 'Audience with Question of Sport'
• Plus special events with Match of the Day and Football Focus, interactive exhibitions, children's activities and much more
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.