BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

24 September 2014
South YorkshireSouth Yorkshire

BBC Homepage
England
»BBC Local
South Yorkshire
Things to do
People & Places
Nature
History
Religion & Ethics
Arts and Culture
BBC Introducing
TV & Radio

Sites near Sheffield

Bradford
Derby
Humberside
Leeds
Manchester
Nottingham

Related BBC Sites

England
 

Contact Us

Features

Inside the cathedral
Inside St Marie's

The Cathedral Church of St. Marie in Sheffield

Designed by Sheffield architect Matthew Hadfield, the Church of St. Marie was opened on the 11th September 1850. The building was extended in 1879 and became a cathedral in 1980.

A grade II* listed building, the cathedral’s gothic design is based on several 14th century Yorkshire and Lincolnshire churches, especially St Andrew’s at Heckington.

Augustus Pugin, a leading member of the Gothic revivalist movement, designed some of the cathedral’s stained glass and fixtures.

CLICK THE LINKS ON THE RIGHT OF THIS PAGE FOR PHOTO GALLERIES AND 360° IMAGES FROM THE CATHEDRAL>>

The cathedral
The cathedral

The following text is taken from the cathedral’s website:

”Before the Reformation, the faithful of Sheffield worshipped at the parish church of St Peter and St Paul (now Sheffield's Anglican cathedral). By 1570 the Catholic faith was outlawed and was kept alive in this area only in isolated farmhouses, where Mass could be celebrated in secret, or in the households of landed gentry, who could afford the heavy fines for non-attendance at the new parish church services.


Before the first Catholic Relief Act in 1778, Catholics met for worship in a room in the house of the Duke of Norfolk's steward for Sheffield (known as the Lord's House) which stood in Fargate.

Detail from the east window
Detail from the East window


By 1812 the growing congregation needed larger premises and a chapel was built behind the Lord's House on this site. The chapel stood on the area now covered by the north transept and the Mortuary chapel. The rest of the site was a graveyard for Catholics. By 1845 the chapel was, again, too small.


The foundation stone for the present church, dedicated to Mary the mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, was laid on 25th March 1847 and the completed church was solemnly opened on 11th September 1850. The design for St Marie's is based on several 14th century Yorkshire and Lincolnshire churches in the Decorated gothic style, especially St Andrew's at Heckington.


The 1971-2 restoration removed the rood screen and added an air of spaciousness with new lighting systems and a focus on the forward facing altar, in keeping with the guidance of the Second Vatican Council of the Church.

Deacon: Rev Bill Burleigh
Deacon: Rev Bill Burleigh


When the new Diocese of Hallam was created out of the diocese of Leeds in 1980, it was St Marie's that was chosen as the cathedral church. The first bishop, Rt Revd Gerald Moverley, was enthroned on 3rd July 1980. Bishop Moverley died in December 1996. Bishop John Rawsthorne was chosen as the second bishop of Hallam and installed in July 1997.”

CONTACT DETAILS

Tel: 0114  272  2522
Email: smariecathedral@aol.com
Address:  Cathedral House, Norfolk Street, Sheffield S1 2JB 

Clergy: 

Cathedral Dean: Fr Desmond Sexton

Deacon: Rev Bill Burleigh

Websites:

http://www.stmariecathedral-sheffield.org

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dbellamy/cathedral/

CLICK THE LINKS ON THE RIGHT OF THIS PAGE FOR PHOTO GALLERIES AND 360° IMAGES FROM THE CATHEDRAL>>

last updated: 12/06/08
SEE ALSO
home
HOME
email
EMAIL
print
PRINT
Go to the top of the page
TOP
SITE CONTENTS
SEE ALSO

BBC Religion
Diane Louise Jordan

Podcast

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Local history




About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy