BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

29 October 2014
HampshireHampshire

BBC Homepage
»BBC Local
Hampshire
Things to do
People & Places
Nature
History
Religion & Ethics
Arts and Culture
BBC Introducing
TV & Radio

Sites near Hampshire

Dorset
Wiltshire

Related BBC Sites

England
 

Contact Us

tiny
Monday, 28 February, 2005 15:05
Could you be a Comedy Idol?
tiny
Lenny Henry
Lenny Henry
tinyAs part of this year's Comic Relief campaign, we've teamed up with BBC Radio Solent to search for the next big thing in stand-up.
If you think you've got what it takes, you could win an open-mic slot at a leading comedy venue in Southampton.
tiny
SEE ALSO
tiny
RND events in the South
tiny
Blast Funny Txt Competition
tiny
Red Nose Day 2005
tiny
BBC Radio Solent
tiny
BBC Comedy
tiny
WEB LINKS
tiny
Comic Relief
tiny
Jongleurs
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites.
tiny
FACTS
tiny

Since Comic Relief began it's raised over £337 million and has given to over 7000 projects.

The money has helped poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and Africa.

60% of Red Nose Day Money is spent in Africa with the remaining 40% spent at home in the UK.

tiny
PRINT THIS PAGE
tiny
View a printable version of this page.
tiny
Get in contact
tiny

Lenny Henry and co have been making us laugh for years to raise money for Comic Relief. This year, we're launching our Comedy Idol competition to give you the chance to tickle some funnybones.

If you're over 18 and think that you could give Eddie Izzard a run for his money or have ever watched Lee Evans and thought, "I could do that", then this is the competition for you.

Red Nose
Make sure you buy a red nose for Comic Relief

All you have to do is send in a CD or cassette of yourself performing an original two minute stand-up routine. Send your entry, together with your contact details to this address:

Comedy Idol
BBC Radio Solent
Broadcasting House
Havelock Road
Southampton
SO14 7PU

The closing date for entries is March 4th 2005.

A panel of judges has been specially chosen to review your comedic efforts as they come in. A selection will be played on Julian Clegg's Solent Today programme with the panel members sharing their opinions.

Alun Newman and Nicholas Parsons
Nicholas Parsons and Alun Newman

Amongst those casting their expert ears over the entries are BBC Radio Solent's own comedian Alun Newman and entertainer Nicholas Parsons.

Nicholas is well equipped to judge your efforts. As well as being the chairman of Just A Minute, BBC Radio 4's panel game, he is also a well established comic actor having appeared in programmes such as The Benny Hill Show and The Comic Strip Presents...

The judges will choose their top three comics and then it'll be your chance to have your say. The entries from the three finalists will be available to listen to online and a special phone line will be opened so that you can vote for your favourite. Proceeds from all calls will go to Comic Relief.

The overall winner will be announced on March 11th 2005 - Red Nose Day, and will get the chance to test their material on a live audience during an open-mic slot at Jongleurs Comedy Club in Southampton on March 17th 2005.

So what are you waiting for? Grab your tape recorder and start thinking funny!

Red Nose Day
Friday 11th March 2005

Entries are non-returnable. Your entry may be streamed online at bbc.co.uk/southampton. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The BBC will not use your personal details for any other purpose.

 
tiny
line
tiny
Top | Features Index | Home
tiny
tiny
tiny
Also in features
tiny
tiny
tiny
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
tiny

Films
Latest Reviews

Film festival

Film Finder


Location South


tiny
Webcams
tiny
Contact Us
BBC Southampton Website
Broadcasting House,
Havelock Road,
Southampton
SO14 7PU
(+44) 023 80 374370/1/2
southampton@bbc.co.uk



About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy