You are here: BBC > Science & Nature >
Young & Beautiful Takeaway Tips
Follow our top tips for the definitive guide on to how eat yourself young and beautiful:
- Eat just one cupful of fresh or freeze dried berries every day to help keep your brain sharper.
- Up the amount of tomatoes in your diet - try adding a little olive oil as it helps improve the absorption of lycopene.
- Eat 100g of frozen or fresh spinach at least once a week to decrease the risk of Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD). Add olive oil to the spinach to absorb the lutein better.
If you don’t like spinach you can try the alternative foods listed on our website.
- Kale - 30g steamed (1 large tablespoon)
- Peas - 250g (7 tablespoons)
- Summer Squash - 350g (9 tablespoons)
- Brussel Sprouts - 500g (about 50 sprout)
- Pumpkin - 500g (12 tablespoons)
- Broccoli (raw or cooked) - 350g (one small bunch)
- To get the benefits of polyphenol from wine it needs to be made in the traditional method of soaking the skin and seeds in the wine before fermentation for at least 2 weeks (modern methods soak for just a couple of days).
- Don’t forget to drink- drinking more water may not improve your kidney function but fluids are still essential to life.
- Swap the ready meals for frozen foods- they contain less additives.
- Don’t use a detox as a quick-solution diet. Instead follow a low in fat, high in fruit and veg diet if you want to lose weight for good.