You are here: BBC > Science & Nature >
Be Slim Takeaway Tips
Some takeaway tips to help you to downsize:
- We all know that the bigger the container the more of it we’ll eat. So do yourself a favour and downsize rather than supersize.
- Examine your portion sizes carefully - keep the evidence around until you have finished eating.
- Increase the amount of protein in your meal without increasing the calories.
- If you can’t cut down on the calories you are consuming, try a bit of NEAT activity:
- 15 min moderate walking will burn 52 extra kcal.*
- 15 min hoovering / dusting will burn 38 extra kcal.*
- 15 min weeding will burn 52 extra kcal.*
- 15 min moderate car washing will burn 43 extra kcal.*
- 15 min recreational cycling will burn 45 extra kcal.*
(* Based on a 40 year old female of 5’5" tall who weighs 12st 7lb and is moderately sedentary).
- If you think eating slow might benefit you: Time yourself eating a meal and then eat the exact same meal at another time, 50% slower. See if you are more satiated afterwards.
- Eat soup as a starter to your meal and water down soups and casseroles.
- If you’ve tried lots of diets and still find it difficult keeping off extra weight you could try writing down everything you eat in a food diary. Remember, everything counts - sometimes we forget how many calories we’ve actually consumed throughout the day and a diary may help.