Types of text
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
When you read something, it helps to know what type of text it is and why it was written.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Types of text includes:
- Information about different text types: persuasive, instructive, informative and descriptive.
- Strategies for recognising each type.
- Common features of forms.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.