The sounds of English
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
English has around 40 sounds. Each can be written in several ways. As in 'f', 'ff' and 'ph'.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
The sounds of English includes:
- The importance of context in decoding text.
- Strategies for recognising sound patterns, silent letters and compound words.
- Prefixes and root words.
- How English has 'borrowed' extensively from many other languages.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.