Notes on this topic
Number lines include:
- Recognising that number lines may be empty or numbered and that the numbering may be continuous or go up in simple multiples.
- Recognising that number lines may be used to add and subtract.
- Finding the difference by counting on and counting back.
- Matching calculations to diagrams of number lines.
- Using a number line to add and subtract whole numbers, and decimals including money.
- Finding the difference between positive and negative numbers.
- Carrying out time calculations.
- Recognising number lines may be marked with fractions or decimal numbers.
- Using double number lines to do conversions and find equivalents between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Recognising that number lines can also be used for multiplication by repeated addition or division by repeated subtraction.