Skimming and scanning
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Speed read or skim text to get the gist. Scan text to find a specific piece of information.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Skimming and scanning includes
- How to skim read texts for gist
- How to scan texts for specific information
- The difference between skimming and scanning
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.