First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Root words can be used to make other words. For instance 'view' is in 'viewing' and 'interview'.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Root words includes:
- Explanation of root words.
- Use of prefixes.
- Use of suffixes.
- How to build longer words from root words.
- Using combinations of prefixes, suffixes and root words to 'grow' words.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.