Reading and understanding
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Really understanding text means more than just reading all the words. Try writing a summary.
Games and videos
- Video One-minute video with transcript
- Video Chris's story - income protection insurance
- Video Andrew and Chaska's story - fire insurance
- Video Neil and Denise's story - gap insurance
- Video Rhoda's story - rogue traders
- Video Catches in adverts
- Entry 1 & 2 quiz
- Entry 3 quiz
- Level 1 quiz
- English games page
Quick tips for tutors
Reading and understanding includes:
- Recognising a variety of text formats (eg newspaper articles, charts, summaries, adverts, reviews).
- Using skills covered in other topics to aid reading: skimming, scanning detailed reading.
- Using skills covered in other topics to aid understanding: fact and opinion, images and charts, summarising, use of dictionary.
- Creating different texts: an advert, a poster, a book review.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.