Prefixes and suffixes
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Prefixes like 'un' or 'pre' in front of a word, or suffixes at the end like 'ing', change the meaning.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Prefixes and suffixes includes:
- Recognising prefixes and suffixes.
- Recognising the root word.
- How adding a prefix changes the meaning of a word.
- How adding a suffix changes a word into an adjective, noun or adverb, or affects the tense of a verb.
- Spelling rules for adding prefixes and suffixes.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.