First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Where a digit is written in a number affects its value. For instance 20 is worth ten times 2.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Place value includes:
- The meaning of place value and digits
- How zero is used as a place holder and its importance
- Writing numbers in word and digit form
- Comparing the size of numbers
- Common errors that can occur with place value
- Adding and subtracting tens and hundreds and the effect on place value
- The use of inequality signs
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland. A useful qualification for many jobs.