Format and style
First time here? Watch this one-minute video, then choose a level.
Think about your audience when choosing the right format and style for your writing.
Games and videos
Quick tips for tutors
Format and style includes:
- Writing in different genres - descriptive, persuasive, informative and instructive texts.
- How language is used in different types of text.
- Presenting information in the form of charts, images, numbered points, tables and pre-set formats.
What do the levels mean?
Skillswise uses the levels of the National Qualifications Framework, which start at Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then go on to Level 1 and Level 2.
- Entry 3 covers the basic concepts and is a good preparation for starting a Level 1 course.
- Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a GCSE D-G grade in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, and a Foundation level at Standard Grade in Scotland.