Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index
  • Help
  • Text only
Last updated:
Email to a friend   Printable version
Investigation on student abduction
A senior police superintendent had been appointed to investigate the claims by a student of Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT).

sri lanka police

It was alleged the student was abducted at gunpoint on Tuesday and assaulted for several hours, over a personal feud, by Ravindu Vas Gunewardena and a group of police officers.

Ravindu, is a student at the same institution as the son of Director of Colombo Crime Division SSP Vas Gunewardena.

IGP will decide

"The result of the investigation will be forwarded to the Inspector General of Police, who will decide the appropriate action," Police spokesman, SSP Ranjith Gunasekera told BBC Sinhala Service.

The victim Nipuna Ramanayake is a 21 year old studying in the third year at the SLIIT Malambe campus.

"There were a few tensions between Ravindu and his friends and a few other third year students, who were my friends over an incident that happened about a year ago. Ravindu usually comes to the campus in a police vehicle and his armed security personnel in civil clothes, used to roam around the campus," Ramanayake told the media.

Assaulted by the son and wife

According to Ramanayake, he was abducted at gunpoint by three armed personnel in plain clothes, a few metres away from the SLIIT campus about 30 minutes after earlier verbal threats by the son of SSP.

He says that he was taken to SSP Vas Gunawardana's residence and assaulted by armed police, SSP's son and the wife.

"If there is evidence of a crime being committed, from the victim and the parents, there will be arrests of the responsible parties," said the police spokesman.

Later Nipuna Ramanayake was released by Dematagoda police station in to the care of his parents.

health and security of the victim

"We have not been informed about any inquiries by the police. At the moment our main concern is about the health and security of our son," Gnanalatha Ranasinghe, the mother of the victim told the BBC Sinhala Service.

Police chief and the president
Police chief Jayantha Wickramaratne with the president

However, SSP Vass Gunawardena had denied any involvement in the incident. In a statement to media, he had said that the victim was never taken to his residence. "The arrest was due to mistaken identity, and later it was established, the boy was not connected with the investigation" SSP Gunawardena had told the Daily Mirror.

The investigations might take some time says the Police spokesman. "These allegations need to be investigated thoroughly", SSP Gunasekera told the BBC.

Meanwhile, Victim Nipuna Ramanayake remained in hospital for further treatments.

Email to a friend   Printable version
  About Us | Contact Us | Programmes | Frequencies
BBC Copyright Logo ^^ Back to top
  Sandeshaya | Highlights | Weather
  BBC News >> | BBC Sport >> | BBC Weather >> | BBC World Service >> | BBC Languages >>
  Help | Contact Us | Privacy statement