Learn to Sing: Body Basics
Your voice is part of your whole body and it's affected by the movement of surrounding muscles. You need to make sure your posture is correct, and that the supporting muscles, incuding shoulders and neck are relaxed and warm, otherwise you could strain your voice, and risk injury.
How you stand is really important. We suggest:
- Stand up straight - imagine a string pulling you up from the top of your head.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart, keep your knees unlocked.
- Your head should be upright, looking straight ahead.
- Keep your shoulders down and your abdomen relaxed.
- Try to relax - tension will prevent you from making a good sound.