Consolidated B24 Liberator was built in greater numbers than
any other US military aircraft and first flew in 1939.
overshadowed by its more glamourous cousin, the Boeing B17
Flying Fortress, the B24 was used in daylight raids on occupied
Europe in World War II by the USAAF, but also in the Mediterranean,
the Middle East, the Pacific and even on North Atlantic patrol.
Some 1,900 were supplied to the RAF. A specially-equipped
Liberator was even used as personal transport by Winston Churchill.
flying with a crew of ten, the Liberator was powered by four
Pratt & Whitney piston engines, and protected by up to
10 0.5inch Browning machine guns mounted in four turrets and
carried a maximum bomb load of 8,000lb (considerably more
than that of the B17), had a wingspan of 110 feet and a maximum
speed of about 300mph. B24s also served as fuel tankers and
RAF museum's B24, serial no. KN-751, originally served with
the RAF in India during the war, and was awaiting the scrap
yard when Indian independence came. It was rescued and used
by the Indian Air Force until 1968 and presented to the RAF
Museum in 1975.