BBC Scotland - River City
Dumbarton G82 2QW
Website: River City
Tours of the River City set only run in the summer months so there are no tours currently running. As we work around production we will not be announcing dates for the 2014 River City tours until spring next year when the show's summer filming schedule is confirmed.
In the meantime please sign up to our mailing list to receive an alert when next summer's tours are announced.
On the tour you will get the chance to walk through Montego Street and explore the front rooms of your favourite characters. You'll also find out more about how a television drama is put together and get the chance to take photos to remind you of your trip to Shieldinch!
Tours take place during the summer break from filming, so cast will not be present. Sometimes changes to the sets take place during the summer break so we cannot always guarantee access to every set.
Your tour will last approximately 1 hour 45 minutes and does involve a lot of walking so please wear comfortable shoes. You will also be on our outside set for part of the time. The set is wheelchair accessible.
Each tour can take up to 18 people; bookings for 15 and under may be made on the website but any larger groups should call the booking line. Please note that we don't recommend the tour for the under 8s. Any group booked for under 16s must have at least 4 accompanying adults.
- Read frequently asked questions (FAQs) about booking BBC Tours and visiting River City
Getting to River City
- BBC Scotland, Dumbarton Studios, Studio Drive, Dumbarton, G82 2QW (please note this postcode will not take you to the new site entrance using satellite navigation)
Map of directions to River City [2071KB]
- Free parking is available
- 10-minute walk from railway station
By car: driving directions from Glasgow
- Head out on Great Western Road A82 following signs for Loch Lomond/Dumbarton – do not follow the first sign to Dumbarton Town Centre
- You will eventually come to Barloan Roundabout. Take the second exit (straight on) at Barloan Roundabout to continue along the A82
- You will then come to another roundabout, Lomond Gate
- Take the first exit, signposted 'local'
- Look for BBC entrance (has security gatehouse and barrier) on your right
- Follow directional signage on site which will take you to car park
By car: driving directions from Glasgow (via Erskine Bridge)
- Head out on the M8 towards Erskine Bridge
- Go over the bridge and take cut off for Crianlarich (A82)
- Follow this road – do not follow the first sign to Dumbarton Town Centre, instead follow the signs for Loch Lomond
- You will eventually come to the Barloan Roundabout.
(follow directions as in details above)
Please note: If you are driving you are advised to check if there area any roadworks taking place on your route, particularly if you are to be using the Erskine Bridge.
By train: walking directions from Dumbarton Central Station
(10 to 15-minute walk)
- Come off the train – head towards the main exit of station. Go down slope and turn right before the main exit – go down steps and then turn right at bottom of steps
- Walk to end of the road and turn left at Shell Petrol Station on to Townend Road
- Cross Poplar Road and continue to walk up Townend Road past the park
- Where the road slopes up slightly, at the corner of the park, take a left on to Park Crescent, keeping the park on your left hand side
- Walk to the end of Park Crescent
- Turn right at the end of the park, onto Overburn Avenue, you will see the pedestrian access to River City further up on the left hand side
- Make your way to the security gatehouse at the entrance to the site. Security will advise you from here how you should access the River City Production offices.