Into this background came the main player in the founding of the club; born as Andrew Kerins in Ballymote, County Sligo, Brother Walfrid was a Marist priest and Headmaster of Sacred Heart School. A tireless community worker for the deprived Catholic residents of Glasgow's east end, Brother Walfrid saw the new football club purely as a fundraising enterprise. The name of the club, Celtic, was Walfrid's own suggestion and was intended to reflect both Celtic's Irish and Scottish roots.
Although the club's crest proudly bears the date 1888, football historians are generally in agreement that the club was formally constituted, and therefore actually founded, in 1887, on November 6th to be precise, in St Mary's Church Hall in East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), in the Calton district of the city.
It would be over six months later before the newly-constituted Celtic club played its first ever match, on May 28th 1888 which resulted in a 5-2 win over Rangers, in what was called a 'friendly match'. The match was played at the first Celtic Park, a hundred yards or so to the northeast of the present ground and close to the present day headquarters of another great Scottish institution: Barr's Irn Bru. Celtic paid an annual rent of £50 to their landlords for the use of their first ground, which they rented until the club moved to the site of the present ground in 1892.
Page: 1 2