In the early years of the nineteenth century the population of Glasgow grew at an extraordinary rate. By the 1840s the population had reached around 280,000 – and it had poisoned its own water supply. Dr Iain Stewart attempts to climb a thirty-five metre Douglas Fir in homage to the tree hunters who travelled the globe searching for exotic species that could be replanted in Scotland. Dr Iain Stewart uncovers how, over thousands of years, the actions of mankind and the climate nearly led to the downfall of Scotland's forests. Only in the 18th century did we realise the extent of the damage, and take measures to re-populate the landscape.
Loch Katrine is a freshwater loch in Stirling District. Owned by Scottish Water, it is the main source of water for the city of Glasgow. Construction of the first 34 mile long aqueduct linking the Loch to the city began in 1855 and was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859. The water's flow is entirely driven by gravity, with no pumps. As the city grew, an additional aqueduct was opened in 1901. To maintain the level of the Loch, additional water can be fed to it via tunnels from Loch Arklet and Glen Finglas Reservoir.
Stirling is one of Scotland’s 32 unitary council areas.
It was created in 1996, adopting the boundaries of the former Stirling district Central Region. Itt covers most of the former county of Stirling, excluding Falkirk, and the south-western part of the former county of Perth. The area borders Clackmannanshire, Falkirk, Perth and Kinross, Argyll and Bute, and both East and West Dunbartonshire.
The majority of the population of the area is located in its southeast corner, in the city of Stirling and in the surrounding lowland communities.