- The Scottish parliament operates 0900-1700hrs weekdays and is closed during the Scottish school holidays
- Minutes of debates are made public and the public has greater access to the Parliament though such things as school visits, a website and greater access for the disabled.
- In the Scottish Parliament the committees have the power to propose laws as well as scrutinize the Executive and Bills - this makes the decision making process more open and democratic.
- The Additional Members System allows a greater mix of MSPs from different political parties.
- The working hours and holidays of the Scottish Parliament encourage greater female participation.
- Elections are fixed for every 4 years
- All MSPs have equal status in the Parliament
- All MSPs have a duty to be accessible to the people in the areas they serve.