Glasgow 2014 Mascot Competition:
This competition was a fantastic opportunity for children aged 6-15 to design the official mascot for the XX Commonwealth Games. The deadline for entries has now passed. Thank you for all of your entries; the winning entry will be announced in September 2012.
For reference, the full Terms & Conditions for the competition are detailed below.
Terms & Conditions
1. The competition is open to all UK residents (including residents of the Channel Islands and the Isle Of Man) aged between 6 and 15 except:-
a. BBC members of staff or relatives of BBC staff member or its affiliates; or
b. Staff members or relatives of Glasgow 2014 Limited or any other person involved in the competition or the organisation of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games or relatives of such a person.
The Age and residency requirements above must be met on the closing date for submissions. The BBC reserves the right to request proof of age for entrants as well as parent's or guardian's consent. Only one entry per person will be considered.
2. Entry to the competition is by submitting an original design for mascot for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games on an A4 piece of paper, following these instructions:
Please DO make sure your design:-
Please make sure your design DOES NOT:-
Please also note:-
3. All entries will be judged based on the following criteria:-
4. There is only one method of entering the competition:-
5. Entries must be received by no later than Friday 2 December 2011:-
Late or illegible entries will be disqualified. The BBC cannot take any responsibility for any technical failure or malfunction, including but not limited to any affecting postal services, which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded.
6. By submitting an entry for the competition, the entrant and the entrant's parent/carer/guardian are deemed to have given consent for the design to be used free of charge by Glasgow 2014 Limited or its designated agents for any purpose in connection with the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games including, but not limited to, the production and sale of merchandise, marketing and advertising purposes in connection with the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. They also consent for the image to be used free of charge by the BBC and Glasgow 2014 Limited or its designated agents in all media and merchandise worldwide for all purposes in perpetuity, including, but not limited to, television platforms, newspaper and all BBC Public services. By taking part in the competition, the entrant and the entrant’s parent or guardian also consent and agree to assign to Glasgow 2014 Limited all copyright in their design should the design be shortlisted for consideration by the panel of experts and sign any relevant forms or agreements provided by Glasgow 2014 Limited to reflect such assignment (without amendment). Failure (or delay) to sign the relevant document will result in the entry being disqualified.
7. By taking part in the competition, the entrant and the entrant's parent or guardian agree to:-
(i) being filmed by the BBC in order to create content for the purpose of publicising the competition including any associated Commonwealth output.
(ii) signing any additional documentation that may be required in connection with this competition, such as, but not limited to, declarations for security, health and safety or confidentiality in order to assign all intellectual property in submitted designs to Glasgow 2014 Limited.
8. It is a condition of entry that all entrants keep a copy of their submitted designs and any correspondence entered into with the BBC and/or Glasgow 2014 Limited confidential at all times. You therefore agree not to disclose to any third party without the prior written consent of Glasgow 2014 Limited. All shortlisted entrants shall be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement which prohibits the disclosure of any information in relation to the competition. Failure to comply with this important obligation prior to Glasgow 2014 Limited publically launching the mascot in 2012 will result in immediate withdrawal from the competition.
9. All entries will be judged in the first instance by an initial panel consisting BBC and Glasgow 2014 Limited staff and consultants.This first judging panel will shortlist the 10 best entries in each of the following categories:-
Note from 12 Dececember 2011: The age categories above were updated as per the authorisation form signed by all entrants to be:–
The ten (10) entries for each age category will be selected in this first round to go through to a second short listing stage where the best entry in each age category will be selected. The BBC will contact you directly in this event.
10. Telephone calls will be made to the 30 shortlisted entrants and their parent/guardian between 9 December 2011 and 17 January 2012 confirming that your design has been shortlisted to the next round. All telephone calls will be recorded for reference purposes only. (The BBC will require from shortlisted entrants further written confirmation of parent/guardian's agreement to these terms and conditions.)
Thereafter the ten (10) best entries in each age category will then be judged by a second round panel which will comprise of staff members or consultants of both the BBC and Glasgow 2014 Limited. This panel will choose the top entry in each age category and thereafter will choose the ultimate winner.
The winners will be announced by September 2012.
All 30 entrants (i.e.10 for each age category) will receive a Glasgow 2014 pin badge
The three age category winners will receive Glasgow 2014 merchandise packs / goody bags.
The prize for the ultimate winner will consist of four tickets to the Opening Ceremony of the XXth Commonwealth Games, in Glasgow, plus UK travel to and accommodation in Glasgow. Thereafter your winning design will be transformed into the Commonwealth Games 2014 Mascot.
11. The ultimate winner must be available for publicity purposes with the BBC during September 2012. If an entrant is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made to do so, and/or is unable to attend the filming or is found to be in breach of the rules, the BBC reserves the right to offer their place to the next best entrant. All shortlisted entrants who have not been successful will not be contacted.
12. All prizes mentioned in section 10 above will be as stated. The prizes cannot be transferred and there is no cash alternative.
13. The BBC's and Glasgow 2014's joint decisions as to the winners is final. No correspondence relating to the competition will be entered into.
14. Glasgow 2014 Limited (or its suppliers) may need to make modifications to the winning mascot design for a variety of purposes. This may consist of significant alterations to the winner’s original design to ensure that the design is usable in all media and for a variety of purposes (i.e. print, online, TV). Also, Glasgow 2014 Limited may add wording to the final design, assign a name to the winning design and create a back story which relates to the mascot.
15. The BBC reserves the right to cancel the competition or any of these rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control, including but not limited to not using the winning design, should the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games be cancelled.
16. The BBC and Glasgow 2014 Limited will only ever use personal details for the purposes of administering this competition, and will not publish them or provide them to anyone without permission. The BBC will make arrangements with Glasgow 2014 Limited to store all information securely and not to pass it on to any other parties.
Read more about the BBC Privacy and Data Protection Policies.
17. To the extent relevant, this competition complies with the BBC Code of Conduct for Competitions and Voting.
18. These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of Scotland.