|Enquiry 7: Activity
|Read Ada McGuire's letters and the What is the Home Front? article.|
What dangers and hardships did civilians face during the war?
|Read the Work and Labour article.
How did war change the lives of workers?
- What changes would Ada McGuire have noticed in Britain between 1914 and
Make 2 lists - one of things that would have changed
the other of things that stayed the same.
- Which change do you think she would have thought was the most
- Write a letter from Ada McGuire to her brother in 1918 in which she
explains the changes that have taken place whilst he has been away
|Read the Women at War article.
- To what extent did the role of women change during the course of the
- How significant was the contribution that women made to the war
- Write a letter to a newspaper in 1918 explaining why women should receive
credit for the role that they played in the war and why they should receive
- Explain how women's support for the war effort helped them gain the
- Read the Interpretation:
(a) How would a German politician defend the
sinking of the Lusitania?
(b) Why did Britain think Germany was wrong to
sink the Lusitania?
- What impact did the sinking of the Lusitania have on:
(b) American public opinion?
|The role that women played in the First World War helped
them gain the vote. Was this factor more important than:
- the peaceful campaigns of the Suffragists
- the more militant campaigns of the suffragettes?