Welcome to Dance Mat Typing, an introduction to touch typing for children aged 7 - 11 years.
Each of the 4 levels are divided into 3 stages. Begin at Level 1 and build up your skills gradually through to Level 4.
- Stage 1: f d s a j k l ; g h - the home row
- Stage 2: e i
- Stage 3: r u
- Stage 4: t y
- Stage 5: w o
- Stage 6: q p
- Stage 7: v m
- Stage 8: b n
- Stage 9: c ,
- Stage 10: x z '
- Stage 11: / .
- Stage 12: Shift keys - how to make capital letters
Stage 1 introduces the home row, and stages 2 - 12 will:
- Recap the previous lesson
- Introduce new letters typed with the left and right hands
- Practise all previously learnt letters
- Reward the typist with a mini song and dance
Why learn to touch type?
When you can do it well, touch typing is the fastest way to write. Many people can soon learn to touch type faster than they can write with a pen. The important things to remember are:
- Use the correct fingers
- There's no need to rush!
- Always rest your wrists on the desk
- You should take a rest, and shake your hands and arms to relax your muscles if you get tired
- It's important not to look at your hands when you are learning to type. The best way to ensure that you don't look at your hands is to cover them up - you can make a simple box out of cardboard or wood to cover both the keys and your hands
You will need headphones or speakers to enjoy the song and dance in each game. The games use the Flash plug-in - if your computer doesn't have Flash, you can find information on how to download it here, or you can play the alternative interactive versions available at each stage.
Worksheets are available for each stage that can be printed out and used offline with a typewriter or computer.
Health and Safety
Sit comfortably with your back up straight and your feet on the ground!
Happy typing and let us know what you think!