Symmetry lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Pupils reflect shapes in a mirror line.
- Pupils solve problems using angle and symmetry properties.
- AT3 Level 4 and 6
- Worksheet on Symmetry
- Pens, pencil
- At least 5 random questions on metric to metric conversions:
"How many m in a cm?"
- Then conversion questions: "Convert 5m into cm."
- Questions on estimating angles and using the language associated with angles.
- Discuss the meaning of lines of symmetry
- It needs to be clear that everything in the shape must reflect on to the other side.
- Give out the worksheet.
- For pupils to get all of the lines of symmetry they may need to turn their paper around.
- At the end bring the class together for the plenary
- Planes of symmetry
- Look at all of the different types of quadrilateral and find the lines of symmetry
- Give the pupils half a picture; they need to draw the reflection in a mirror line.