Rounding off lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Know how to round to the nearest significant figure.
- Know how to estimate answers to problems involving decimals.
- AT2 level 4 and 6
- Worksheet on Rounding off
- Pens and pencils
- Homework sheet
- A multiplication table card chase game in which each student calls out the product of the mutiplication on the previous student's card:
"You have 3x3.
I have 9. You have 2x7.
I have 14. You have 6x6...." etc.
- Hand the worksheet out.
- Discuss what numbers you need to put on the scale. More examples may need to be done on the board.
- Pupils work through the exercise.
Statements to make: "If we are rounding to the nearest 10 the 10's go on the scale, it will either stay the same or go up. So 20 or 30."
"If we are rounding to one decimal place we put one decimal place on the scale, it will either stay the same or go up so 42.1 or 42.2.
- Rounding to significant figures.
- Ask everybody quick fire questions or prepare a card chase game.
- A pre-prepared sheet of questions, with number work they have to practise.