Ratio lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Pupils solve simple problems involving ratio and direct proportion
- AT2 level 5
- Worksheet on Ratio
- Pre-prepared cards each with a different multiplication on it (3 x 3, 2 x 7, 6 x 6 etc)
- A multiplication table card chase game in which each student calls out the product of the mutiplication on the previous student's card:
"You have 3x3.
I have 9. You have 2x7.
I have 14. You have 6x6...." etc.
- Give out the worksheet.
- Talk about the two examples and decide on the easiest way to go from one to the other.
- Give the pupils time to finish the sheet, then discuss the questions.
- The teacher will need to decide on the ability of the group and tailor the questions toward this.
- Dividing in a given ratio. The fraction of girls if the ratio of girls to boys is 1:4.
- Race game:
Two pupils stand facing away from the board.
A question is written on the board behind them.
On the command of "Go!" they turn around and race to finish the question.
The winner faces a new challenger.
- A teacher-prepared sheet.