Negative Numbers lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Pupils order add and subtract negative numbers.
- AT2 level 5
- Worksheet on Negative numbers
- Number line
- Pens and pencils
- Lots of quick fire questions such as:
"If I have £100 in the bank and I spend £150, how much do I owe?"
"If the temperature is – 3° and it warms up by 5°, what is the temperature?"
- Have a vertical number line on the wall so that you can indicate where to start on the question and we are adding/coming up or subtracting/going down.
- Talk the pupils through a few questions with you using your vertical number line.
- The pupils do the worksheet.
- How to deal with adding negative numbers + –
- How to deal with subtracting negative numbers – –
- Lots of quick fire questions
- A teacher-prepared sheet of negative-number problems to work out.