Fractions lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- The pupils use and understand the place value headings, including decimals.
- Pupils are beginning to understand the equivalencies between fractions and decimals.
- AT2 Level 4,5, 6
- KS3 Bitesize worksheet on Fractions
- Pens, pencils and rulers
- Homework sheet
- Card chase game
- Counting in 15's
then in 150's
then in 1.5's
then in 0.15's.
- By doing all of these, the teacher can discuss the similarities between all of the numbers with the pupils and can use it to look at the place value diagram.
- With some classes the teacher may use a single digit number such as 3, then 30 then 0.3, etc.
- The teacher reads through the Worksheet examples with the pupils.
- While the pupils are working through the first exercise, the teacher could be putting some extra questions on the board.
- The teacher brings the class together again and discusses what they have done.
- The second example is discussed and the pupils complete that exercise.
- The teacher can then put more difficult questions on the board. Perhaps questions that involve cancelling down.
- Converting between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- A card chase game Please explain this game more in detail) "You have 0.21, I have 21 hundredths you have 0.03, I have 3 hundredths you have..."