Mental Arithmetic lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- To revise key skills for the mental arithmetic tests. In particular using the result from one equation to help you find the answer to a linked question
- AT2 level 5
- Worksheet: Mental Arithmetic Race
- Multiplication and division by 10, 100 and 1000
- Give out worksheet, pupils have one minute to complete as much as possible.
- Pupils then mark their own work. The teacher gets the answers from the pupils.
- The teacher discusses any problems they may have had.
- Ask the pupils how they came to the answer for the various questions.
- Pupils complete the worksheet again and are expected to get more this time. Quick mark.
- Differentiation is by outcome as the questions get progressively more difficult, although the teacher could easily produce more difficult worksheets incorporating higher level skills.
- Ask the pupils to explain the method they have learned this lesson.
- Pupils produce a poster explaining how to use the information from one calculation to get the answer to a linked calculation.